Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I have a had a great week!  I started a new drug ( Cimzia) for my RA and it is working wonders!  No pain…..period!  Energy like I haven’t had it a year or better and feeling much less depressed, it is amazing how constant pain can mess with you…..plus this is an injection I can take in my own home, no more two and half hour infusions!  Yeah!

As most of you know I collect vintage children’s story books and paper dolls, I have been looking for one for quite some time called Dolls from Storyland, it is from the 1940’s and made by Merrill.

I found this on EBay and was so surprised at the mint condition!

$(KGrHqYOKp0E6YyeCV52BPMcgziPKg~~60_12

No wrinkles, bends, nothing!  Couldn’t wait to see it…..this I show it showed up……UGLY, and BAD!

IMG_0725

IMG_0726

The back cover…..

IMG_0729

The cutout doll……

IMG_0730

Totally ruined!  The seller apparently did not know that you do not put items like this thru the mail without cardboard or a box……I was so angry!  An item that had lasted all these years, ruined…..I asked for a refund and they gave it, but it was still upsetting as I am still on the hunt not for the book…..FYI…ALWAYS sandwich expensive vintage ephemera of any kind in heavy heavy cardboard,  or better yet, a box….or this is what happens when the USPS machines get ahold of it…..

Now the Good……:)

I went to an antique store the other day after reading Meri’s post….lol… and I found some sweet items!  I am going to be opening up an online store later this year called Broadway and Fifth, after the candy store I adored as a child…so I am trying to find good buys on fun items to resell…..

A few though, are staying with me! :)

A wonderful old rolling pin, and a jar full of vintage coffee scoops!  I will be selling most of the scoops….

IMG_0733

IMG_0734

Some great embroidery patterns…..I love the Mexican motif ones, I might just try them on dish towels…..

IMG_0735

And a set of cross-stitch roosters I though were old….but look at the Target price tag!  Still from a while back ….

IMG_0736

IMG_0736

Some really fun vintage children’s clothespins in translucent colors….

IMG_0740

And my favorite piece……

Ta-Da!  I have been looking for one of these for a long time also, and never could fine one in decent shape….this one is GREAT!

IMG_0737

Love the graphics and the wood wheels…it isn’t as musical as it once had been but still wonderful!

IMG_0738

IMG_0739

So all in all things are looking up…..it took quite some time but today is a great day!  Thanks for stopping by….

UPDATE:

Spoke with Viv , and I am going to be doing the Easter Swap, it will be a one on one swap and I will have details in the next week….so if you want to join keep it in mind, but please DO NOT leave a message here, email me at sanjos333@yahoo.com or leave a comment on the swap post which will be coming next week….:)  Thanks! 

!BpH-D8wB2k~$(KGrHqQH-CgEuW0(gCbCBLqC6O,8Pg~~_12 copy

 

16 comments:

Nan said...

Oh too bad about that beautiful book. Things can really get beat up bad in the post I know this.
An Easter swap I would probably say no as it's too hard for me to pick up things for that. Nice that you will open a little on line shop.

My Vintage Mending said...

Boy this has happened to me a few times. Someone mailed me the cardboard pin up this way and when they made it to me they were in pieces...Love those sweet vintage finds...so glad you are feeling better. Looks like you had a great day out. Smiles...Renee

Unknown said...

I LOVE your vintage thangs! I hate that something you purchased was not what it should have been!

Shirley Hatfield said...

Are those cute scoops 2 Tablespoons? If so they would be perfect for my homemade laundry detergent. I would buy one!

Into Vintage said...

Congrats on your upcoming shop -- sounds like fun! I smiled when I saw those coffee scoops. I remember growing up with those in my parent's cans of Maxwell House and Sanka.

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Oh Sandy, what a shame. :( I sell on e-bay too, and you do indeed need to package those things carefully. Good they gave you your money back. Looking forward to seeing your new store!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Fran said...

What a shame about that sweet book. That has happened to me, and it's such a let-down. On another note--yay, Cimzia! I hope your good health continues! My 16yr old daughter started Humira injections in November, and her RA symptoms have disappeared. And I agree with you, it's so much more convenient to inject at home, rather than spend hours in an infusion center! :)

vivian said...

Hi Sandy! I had been thinking about hosting an easter swap. but I think if you would like to host that would be great.. and I'll be the first to sign up! hows that? I'm glad youre feeling so much better. that is awesome!
too bad about that book because is surely was adorable.
xoxo
vivian

Andy's Attic said...

So glad to hear about the great new medicine! It is very upsetting when people don't understand the effect of things on paper goods. I hate when you find a wonderful old (insert anything made of paper) with a very sticky price tag on it. RUINS it! Love your finds.
Annette

Musings from Kim K. said...

Such lovely vintage finds. I'm sorry your sweet paper doll book was ruined though. My newest blog banner is filled with vintage paper dolls. They are always a favorite of mine but they are hard to find. I hope your good health continues!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

So glad you're feeling better, Sandy!!!
M.L.

LBP said...

Glad that you have found a medication that helps so much with your RA. My friend's husband hasn't found one that works for him yet and it's so discouraging. Too bad about the paper dolls, dang it! I will be watching for your Easter swap. I haven't done a swap in a while and think I would like to do this!

Blessings

Linda

retrorevival.biz said...

I'm soooo happy to hear you found a medicine that's making you feel better ~ yippee!

~Cindy

Anonymous said...

So glad you've found some helpful meds, Sandy! ♥

What a sweet little toy in just the right colors!

Tammy's in Love said...

Thanks for stepping up to the plate, er...deviled egg dish to host an Easter swap! YEA!!!
XXOO,
Tammy

agravette said...

so excited about your new plans to sell your beautiful findings...glad your medicine is working so well...would you mind telling me about how it works?...i have lupus and am looking into new medicines to treat it...my email address is jasongravette at aol dot com...thanks so much! alisha

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...